Patients who have obesity and wish to participate in a medical management treatment program or alternatively undergo bariatric metabolic surgery, are often seeking to improve their health, function and wellbeing.
This is where appropriate and realistic goal setting is critical.
The aim of the initial few consultations and associated assessments/tests is primarily to:
- check your general health and glean how your weight is currently affecting your wellbeing,
- Better understand your current life circumstances,
- review your current eating habits, behavioural patterns
- medical history
- what you have tried in the past, and how your body responded (or not) to that particular therapy
- manage expectations and develop a roadmap (personalised care plan)
If there are any unexpected or concerning findings in your clinical assessments or identified areas for improvement, you will be informed and the treatment team may suggest appropriate recommended modifications +/- initiate therapy where appropriate. Your regular GP and other specialists who assist in your care, will be kept in the loop and updated regularly.